Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Grammy Lives




This evening, right before the sun set, I went outside to water the tomato and squash plants. I left Rupert inside, because this is the hunting hour and he'll just bolt for the first deer, squirrel or rabbit he sees. After I finished watering, I started thinking about what I could do to thank Grammy for my time here and commemorate her memory. The idea of planting a tree came to me. But as I walked around the property, it looked like every tree was in it's right place, as if someone had the idea to plan the planting of every tree way before I did. It was the best time of the day in nature. The whole area sounded alive but the sky was still and getting pinker and darker by the minute. Then I realized that my Grammy made this property into her own sanctuary. She watered every plant, planted every bush, and fed all the birds so this place would be her perfect idea of heaven on earth. Standing there, I got that feeling that she must have had standing in the same place at the same time of day when she was alive. It was a complete escape from everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment