Monday, May 3, 2010

The 1st Day


Beth left today after a perfect weekend of fried chicken, gardening and scrabble at sunset. I stood holding whining Rupert while she drove my father's Camry around and down the gravel drive. After she was gone I went outside and had some iced coffee on the back porch to think about what I was going to do here and how I was going to live. I looked out at the Blue Ridge mountains in the silence. A big bumblebee hovered suspiciously near me for a long time. Because they don't sting I decided to accept it as a good talisman. I wondered what it must have been like for Grammy to confront this silence after Grampy died without even a dog to interrupt it. Thank God for Rupert.

2 comments:

  1. I know how Rupert feels when Beth leaves....I whine a little too.

    ReplyDelete