Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Telemarketers Will Follow You to the Grave


Every day they call. I won't deny I get a sadistic pleasure out of informing them their lead has passed away. They're always contrite. Often they offer condolences and I remember then that they're just people stuck in a crappy job.

I was one once. I called people to ask for donations to lobby for an extension of Bill Clinton's late 90's moratorium on cutting down trees in national forests. You cringe every time someone picks up, just waiting for the inevitable tirade. Protocol says to call during dinner because that's when most people are home. But they're also eating dinner and it's the first time all day they haven't had to be on the phone at their crappy job.

So I go easy on these telemarketers, ask them to take Grammy's number off the list and thank them for their well wishes. We're in a recession.

No comments:

Post a Comment